Caramelized Pineapple and Grilled Chicken Quesadillas with Spicy Strawberry Dip
This recipe provides nothing short of a flavor symphony. Just take a bite, close your eyes, and let it take you on a delicious journey that will both challenge and excite your taste buds.
Cooking for the Munchies | Meaty
For the strawberry dip:
10 strawberries, stemmed
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed but seeds retained
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
¼ small red onion
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the quesadillas:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
¼ small pineapple, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp chipotle chili powder
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 (6-8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 flour tortillas
tbsptbsp1 small poblano pepper, seeded, diced, and thinly sliced
1 (6-ounce) piece Monterey jack cheese, freshly grated
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Make the strawberry dip: Combine all the ingredients in the jug of a blender and blend until the texture is even and smooth (if you like a smoother texture, run it through a food mill or chinois). Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- Make the quesadillas: In a skillet over low heat, warm the butter. Add the pineapple cubes, brown sugar, and lemon juice and cook, stirring constantly, for 7 minutes. The pineapple cubes will slowly brown as they absorb the buttery caramel (you can taste one, but leave the rest for the real deal). Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, chipotle chili powder, and paprika. Dip the chicken breast in the mixture until it is evenly coated.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (slice it a bit to check that it’s cooked through). Remove from the grill and slice into ¼-inch slices.
- Reduce the grill heat to low. Place 1 tortilla on a plate and arrange the caramelized pineapple slices on top. Add the chicken slices and poblano pepper and top with the cheese and cilantro. When you’re done, gently place the second tortilla on top.
- Slowly slide the quesadilla off the plate and onto the grill. Grill, uncovered, for about 3 minutes. Using a plate or a large spatula, flip the quesadilla over and grill for another 2 to 3 minutes on the other side. Remove from the grill, slice up “pizza style,” and serve.